Tycho Target Trouble

I lost a few hours this weekend over one line in a maven pom.xml file.  I thought I would post the issue here so that anyone else that runs into this problem might find some help.  The original setup is this:

I have a fairly large Eclipse based application that I am moving from Juno to Kepler.  I am currently using the Maven/Tycho build structure, so I decided to incorporate a Target Platform definition to make it easier for other developers to set up their target platform as they also move to a Kepler install for their IDE.  I created a project with a target platform and copied a pom.xml file from another project.  I set the packaging to “eclipse-target-definition”.  I added all of the dependencies to the target platform definition and set it as the target platform and was able to build successfully with Eclipse.

When I tried to build with maven, the build (even a clean) would fail immediately with “Could not resolve target platform specification artifact”.  After reading a few pages of google search results, I downloaded the Tycho demo project from here: http://git.eclipse.org/c/tycho/org.eclipse.tycho-demo.git

The itp04-rcp project has a target platform, and I could not see any differences between the demo pom.xml and mine.  I moved my target definition into the demo project and did not see the same error, so I determined that it was not an issue with the target definition itself.  After a few hours of tweaking, I finally figured out that you can’t have a version element in the pom.xml file for a target platform.

I removed the version element and was able to build and install my products.  Now I’m off to the races with Kepler!

This entry was posted in Eclipse, Software, Tools. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *